Sunday, December 27, 2009

Spring has sprung? Don't let it fool you...


Today was the perfect day to get back on the bike for the first time in a couple of weeks and it was absolutely splendid.
I set out for Geep Hill which is only 30 miles and some change but the wind was pumping and I chose my direction of the route wisely so that the wind would push me home.
As I was heading toward the Sferro tracks.... a huge group of Italians was out for their midday Sunday ride and cheers of "BELLA" echoed at me as they flew past wearing pants and jackets on such a 70-degree type of winter day. Up ahead I saw the Sferro coffee shop and to the West were many looming, dark clouds but since the weather was warm I wasn't going to let a little rain cut my route short.
As I crawled up Geep Hill... I watched my speedometer go from 10, 9, 8, 7, and then I held 6 for the rest of the hill but the wind sure was killing me. Then I was done... yeah!
On the way home... I was flying at 20 which is terrific while solo. I charged ahead seeing some cyclists and caught up to them. We had the usual conversation of where do I live, where am I heading, did I have a good holiday, the weather... etc. Then the gentleman I was riding with took a picture of me which was pretty cool. We bid farewell at my turn home and they continued 12 miles to Motta.
On the last turn home... I got a free orange at the farmer selling produce on the side and once I arrived at home I threw off the cycling shoes and ate my orange in the carport. It was the best orange I have had all season. Only a few more weeks for the blood oranges!
10 minutes later the rain arrived.
A Sunday with a house full of travel mess all over the house and a husband deployed couldn't get any better than this.

No comments: