Monday, January 25, 2010

Cold fingers & toes BUT warm heart

The weather has finally turned and winter finally arrived in Sicilia. As the fiore di le donne bloomed below the orange and olive trees it snowed on Mt. Etna this week. The best part of winter riding is no 0600 wake-up calls! Hit the road at 10 am and hope for no wind, no clouds, or threating weather. Though this weekend's weather was a bit on the cold side... I did manage to get out and ride and not solo for the first time in weeks. Actually stumbled on a few Americans out there. Shocking... didn't think any would put on the layers on a chilly day but they did. I met four new riders on the road and managed to talk two of them into riding with me. One of the riders asked me,"Do you ride? because a lot of people say they ride but they really don't." Inside I was chuckling... no one really knows "Jenni One Speed" anymore here at Sig. This is not such a bad thing. All the riders that I used to chase for many gruelling hours have spun their cycling into an entirely new direction: Racing on the Italian Circuit. As those continue to chase the wheels in all their races... I will be gracefully climbing up to a dolci & cappi stop and then chasing my angels down the mountains as fast as I can for the best part of the ride. No egos to bruise... no curfews to break. Simply me, the road, and the Sicilian landscape.

-Jenni One Speed

No comments: